[SGVLUG] Video Capture Cards?

Arthur Baldwin eengnerd at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 29 07:15:38 PST 2013

I have to ask what you mean by "HDTV resolution" what is your source? There is not anyway to help without that information.
As for what number of pcie lanes the card uses that is a function of the bandwith that the card needs and the manufacture with build the card as needed.

By HDTV I mean the resolution associated with the 1080p specification which is basically 1024 x 768 pixels (with extra scan lines and columns thrown in).  That's why it's 1080 rather than 1024.  I forget now what the extra number of scan lines is...not important though.  If I can get just the regular 1024 x 768 I'll be happy.  Most video capture cards are currently only 640 x 480 maximum resolution because they're designed for security systems and not TV studio production.  As for bandwidth, I will need plenty.  The application is for TV production studios.  Ideally I would like a single plugin card with the ability to easily handle 8 video inputs and 8 audio inputs, and to actively record on all of these inputs simultaneously for hours on end to HDD without any "dropouts" or degradation.  I'm quite certain that this kind of performance cannot be acheived with only one lane PCIe bus.

Arthur

Does anyone have experience with video capture cards?  I'm looking for a capture card that uses the PCIe bus, has HDTV resolution,  and has audio capture.  I need 4 inputs minimum for both video and audio.  And I'm hoping to find one that is PCIe x 16, rather than PCIe x 1.  And of course, I'm hoping to find one that has good Debian (or derivative) support.