[SGVLUG] Moving an entire hosting operations from one DC to another

James McDuffie mcduffie at pitfall.org
Wed Jan 23 08:13:57 PST 2013

I thought some of you may enjoy reading up on the experiences of one VPS
provider in their move from one data center to another. This provider,
BuyVM.net is the one hosting the LUG and HAK mailing lists, hence the
recent down time. They have written up their experiences with the move
which can serve as a sort of lessons learned.

Around December they announced they were moving their operations from
San Jose to Las Vegas:
> This has already been announced, but for everyone that might not have heard yet we are leaving our current west-coast provider
> (EGI at Coresite in San Jose) due to what we feel to be unprofessional and unethical treatment (as well as unresolved technical
> issues, such as the constant networking problems in our San Jose deployment).  On January 18th, Francisco and Aldryic will be
> in San Jose to take inventory and prepare to load our hardware up on a secured box truck to move to our new datacentre
> (Fiberhub, in Las Vegas).  We are expecting an estimate of 15-20 hours of downtime for this move as we'll be contending with
> factors such as loading the gear, traffic from San Jose to Vegas, as well as properly re-racking at the new DC.

For more information on the unethical treatment this post has more
information:
http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1190853

Eventually they did make it to Las Vegas. Their downtime was greater
than expected as explained in their post move write up:
http://buyvm.net/vegasorbust.txt