[SGVLUG] sdf.org redux (Was Re: Fwd: Presentation Slides

Lan Dang l.dang at ymail.com
Fri Jan 11 00:37:28 PST 2013

James, thanks for showing this to Michael and me at lunch.  It's nice to be able to get a free shell account without a lot of fuss.

But mostly, I was just so tickled that you could ask for an account through ssh that I had to sign up then and there.

For those of you who missed it, when you ssh using the account new at sdf.org, you will be automatically sent to an account
creation process that will prompt you for some information and make an
account for you.  I loved the community feel of it, and how there were a lot of prompts and help on finding information on not just the commands you can use, but information on the community itself.
I was also impressed by the community vibe and the mission statement about providing a public access place where people can learn UNIX system where people can learn and be a community.  It reminded me of a BBS, which is something I became nostalgic about when Braddock posted about his Raspberry Pi BBS.

We showed it off at LUG and I'm pretty sure sdf.org got some new members.

Lan

PS: They run mostly BSD machines, and there are different levels of membership which get you more and more privileges.