[SGVLUG] SGVLUG meeting next Thursday, January 10th

Lan Dang l.dang at ymail.com
Fri Jan 4 00:07:19 PST 2013

Hi all,

Happy New Year!

We are meeting next Thursday, January 10th at 7pm.  The exact room is TBD since Caltech is just starting up again and we're not sure what rooms will be available.

Michael Starch has volunteered to present at January's meeting.  I am waiting for him to send in a blurb for the website and calendar.  The topic had something to do with IP proxies, IIRC.

Steven Doran has volunteered to present on DD-WRT in February.
I hope someone else can take the lead on recruiting more speakers.  We often don't have much choice in the matter, but it would be nice to alternate between basic and highly technical talks, so we can appeal to a broader range of people.

I have been campaigning for a slight change in how we run the meetings.  We usually try to kill 10-20 minutes to give people time to show up before settling down to our main presentation.  This time is usually taken up with brief introductions, Linux in the News and whatever discussion that might generate.

I would like to encourage people to step up and give mini-presentations about a topic of interest to them,  even when we have a presenter that month.  It can be as brief as you like and completely off-the-cuff.  You can announce it ahead of time or just get up and talk.

This serves the dual purpose of giving us a little variety in our
presentations within a given month, and I hope it will be a convenient outlet for people who may not have
 the time or inclination to do a longer presentation.

So share something cool you've been working on, a neat trick with vi that you just learned, or that 5-minute git training session you perfected at work.

I promise to get up and give a brief talk next week.  I haven't yet committed to my topic yet.

Lan