[SGVLUG] Linux v Windows - Netbook SSD - Your Thoughts

Michael Proctor-Smith mproctor13 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 7 20:13:18 PDT 2013

I have linux on a bunch of SSDs it just works. You can add "discard" to the
fs options in your fstab to ensure that TRIM commands are sent. You can
also change the disk scheduler to noop as SSD is a random access device so
no need to do elevator stuff.

Fun side note on a talk I saw at Defcon, when TRIM is sent data actually
gets erased from the disk unlike with old school disks where it is just
marked as deleted but actually remains on the disk until overridden. So
further side note if you don't want your data deleted use a SSD.