[SGVLUG] Linux v Windows - Netbook SSD - Your Thoughts

Dan Buthusiem dan.buthusiem at gmail.com
Wed Aug 7 19:50:27 PDT 2013

Hello,

So my four year old netbook's been giving me that "I'm about to lose my
mind" random hard click from the hard drive. I've been thinking of going
SSD for the replacement, since I almost never use it on a flat surface (90%
of my work with it is network device / console config stuff). I figure if I
do go SSD, I'll need to change my OS (or hardcore modify the stock WinXP it
came with) to make sure the SSD is happy. Do any of you have Linux happily
running on an SSD? If I were to go Linux on it (Win7 is going to be too
heavy, I think), I likely would go Ubuntu, though I still have a soft spot
for Fedora.

Thanks,
Dan