[SGVLUG] Upcoming meetings + promoting SGVLUG @ Caltech

Dustin Laurence dllaurence at dslextreme.com
Sat Aug 3 00:00:05 PDT 2013

On 08/02/2013 06:52 PM, Lan Dang wrote:

> We have been able to continue meeting at Caltech thanks to Junaid and
> the PMA Division.  Having student  or faculty support would make it
> easier to keep meeting at Caltech.  Therefore, it would be good for the
> club if we could make more of an effort to engage the Caltech students.
> Let's find presentations that are relevant to them.  Let's be consistent
> in advertising our presence and our meetings.  Maybe we can do a Linux
> install party or some kind of hackathon.

This has always been an issue at Caltech.  The problem is that attending
Caltech is kind of like living in a LUG 24/7.  More than 20 years ago
the undergrad houses had their own network full of linux boxes with the
root password written on the blackboard and a dorm (sort of) full of
people who can tell you whatever you need to know.  I'm sure it hasn't
gotten any less Linux-y since then.  An install party probably doesn't
have any particular appeal because (1) everyone who wants Linux already
has Linux and if they don't there are ten people living on the same
floor who can help with an install, and (2) the majority of Caltech
students would probably be determined to do it on their own rather than
appear to need any help (whether they do or not).

That isn't to say it can't be done, and it should be if it could be, but
Caltech works on different rules.

Dustin