[SGVLUG] Upcoming meetings + promoting SGVLUG @ Caltech

Lan Dang l.dang at ymail.com
Fri Aug 2 18:52:25 PDT 2013

Hi all,

In preparation for next week's meeting, here is some club business to think on.

Thanks to Junaid, we have Downs 107 reserved through September.  It's
uncertain if we can keep the room reservation once the students come
back.  It depends on if they need it as a classroom on Thursday nights.

We have been able to continue meeting at Caltech thanks to Junaid and the
PMA Division.  Having student  or faculty support would make it easier
to keep meeting at Caltech.  Therefore, it would be good for the club if we could make more of an effort to engage the Caltech students.  Let's find presentations that are relevant to them.  Let's be consistent in advertising our presence and our meetings.  Maybe we can do a Linux install party or some kind of hackathon.

Behind the scenes, folks have been trying to line up speakers.   If you can help in this effort, please update Braddock's Google Doc.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ArNpQvqFQRgeoCx3TVN6yiF-3Qg2nLvyKEQeqj1UrOY/edit?usp=sharing

Nothing is set in stone, but here's what to expect.

Aug  8 -- mini-presentations.  James is doing static website generators.  Mic will talk about steelbolt hacking.  Since Defcon is this weekend, I'm sure we can get some news and discussion on that.    If there is time, I can give a short talk on awk.

Sep 12 -- Michael and Steven will be hacking Raspberry Pis and each other.  (Blurb, please.)

Oct 10  -- James has been working on a speaker, whose current availability is Sep or Oct.  Since the Caltech students come back on Sep 22nd, it'd be really nice if we could get him for October.

Nov 14 --  Braddock is putting out feelers for a speaker from SCALE.  Hopefully, he can do November.

Dec 12 -- Unknown.  Maybe this would be a good meeting to report on Internet in a Box and recruit more volunteers?

Lan

PS Usual meeting reminder will be sent out next week.  I have spammed you all enough.