[SGVLUG] End of Amazon Streaming for Linux

Braddock braddock at braddock.com
Tue Apr 23 14:53:37 PDT 2013

Buried in a rambling article at slashdot is news of the apparent end of
Amazon Prime streaming for Linux.  They have turned on hard DRM.

http://news.slashdot.org/story/13/04/23/1615219/the-dark-side-of-amazons-new-pilots

My wife and I both use(d) Amazon Prime under Linux.  It does not work
now - I get an "Updating Player" message followed by an error. Not sure
it is DRM, or the outdated abandoned Linux Flash version.

According to the article all Android support (except for Kindle Fire) is
also now dead.

Very sad news.  Hopefully we will have some legal way to watch content
in the future, but it looks bleak for anything without a locked
bootloader (even Google Chromebooks refuse to play Netflix if you unlock
them).

-braddock