[SGVLUG] Naming Internet-in-a-Box service with DHCP

Braddock braddock at braddock.com
Fri Apr 19 11:27:42 PDT 2013

Hi Guys,
Thanks for allowing me to present and experiment on you last week with
the Internet-in-a-Box.

I have a question for the group.

The Wired Internet-in-a-Box device is a Debian NAS (hacked Seagate
GoFlex Home) running a web server.

I want the install procedure on a network with an existing DHCP server
to look like:

1) Plug into power
2) Plug into wired ethernet port
3) Turn on
4) From a web browser on any other computer or device on the network go
to http://knowledge and access the device

This setup must be easy, I don't want the end user to have to configure
a static IP.

How can I achieve this?

On my DD-WRT WRT54G it provides a name server proxy and picks up on the
hostname when the DHCP request is made and resolves DNS queries for it.
But this is fragile, and some devices don't seem to work.

Would I be able to cover most devices by using nmbd?  Is mdns well
supported?

Ideas?  Advice?

Thanks,
Braddock