[SGVLUG] Raspberry Pi SIG Kickoff meeting tonight?

John Kreznar jek at ininx.com
Fri Sep 21 00:55:01 PDT 2012

Matthew Campbell <dvdmatt at gmail.com> writes:

> Networking no longer works when changing SD card between two Raspberry Pis

> In some distributions, /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules remembers
> which MAC address is associated with eth0, so each new device will be
> assigned as a different interface (eth1, eth2, etc.) due to the different
> MAC addresses. Editing /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules to remove
> the invalid rules and rebooting may help fix the problem.

Another approach is to hard-code the MAC, if this is possible in that
setting.  I had the same problem when allowing Xen to randomly assign
MACs to each new instance of the same virtual machine.  So I hard-coded
a MAC into the configuration file (using one of the random ones that had
been generated), removed /etc/udev/70-persistent-net.rules, edited
/etc/network/interfaces back to eth0 from eth2.  Fixed.

--
OpenPGP key: http://ininx.com
 John E. Kreznar jek at ininx.com 9F1148454619A5F08550 705961A47CC541AFEF13