[SGVLUG] Hudson/Jenkins video & Amara subtitling project

Lan Dang l.dang at ymail.com
Fri Nov 9 08:23:00 PST 2012

This is the video I mentioned last night at dinner.  It's about 69 minutes long.   It is a talk given by  Kohsuke Kawaguchi (Sun/Oracle) at the San Francisco Java User Group.  He is the creator of Hudson, an open-source continuous integration system  that later forked to be Jenkins.  (They like to name it after butlers.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6k0S4O2PnTc

What I like about his talk is that he clearly  explained the need for continuous integration, how a continuous integration system meets those needs, and how Hudson/Jenkins changed the way he and his company worked.

Sadly, the  captioning for this video are machine-generated and even worse than  usual because Kohsuke has an accent.  It is  a  lot easier for me to watch videos, especially these kinds of talks, with good captioning, as I don't have to keep rewinding when I think I've missed something.

For  some of  the really useful videos, I've thought about trying to improve the captions as a public service and also as a way for me to really learn  the material.

There is a website that apparently lets you do that:
http://www.universalsubtitles.org

Anyone have experience with this?  It's by a project called Amara.  If there's anything that can use crowdsourcing, it's captioning.   It would take me a long time and a lot of  patience to subtitle a video this long.  I wouldn't mind doing ten minutes here and there for the parts I'm really into and can hear clearly.   It's also really easy to just correct wrong captions.

I just don't want to start subtitling a video that doesn't belong to me until I understand the rules of acceptable behavior.  If I have to jump through a lot of hoops, my enthusiasm for the project will dwindle.

Lan