[SGVLUG] New Linux Laptop, Made (assembled?) in US

Miguel Hernandez migtek at gmail.com
Wed May 23 21:59:27 PDT 2012

Well, what I'd really want in a "true" gaming laptop.....err, a developer
laptop that I can game on (hehe) is the option to have an Nvidia video card
& not the, typically, default Intel chipset. While the Intel 4000 series is
decent, it doesn't hold a candle to Nvidia's laptop offerings in both
performance & cooling. Neither System76 nor Dell give you those options but
the other distributor that distributes laptops w/Linux distros does-
ZAReason:  http://zareason.com/shop/Laptops/

Their Strata 6770 comes with the Nvidia 540m which has 1GB of RAM (vram for
us older folks who remember that). This Nvidia card supports DirectX 11 &
3DVision (for your 3d games & movies enjoyment). It's their cheapest card
that comes w/an Nvidia & starting at $850, I find it to be a really good
deal for anyone wanting/needing to do really graphics-intensive things like
playing high-end/new games or editing video/graphics. If/when I get one,
I'll be sure to let the group know of my findings.
http://zareason.com/shop/Strata-6770.html
http://www.geforce.com/hardware/notebook-gpus/geforce-gt-540m
http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-GT-540M.41715.0.html
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTZl04MF-88 (youtube vid showing the Nvidia
540m playing Battlefield 3...really smooth/fast)

cheers,
--miguel