[SGVLUG] so, what command line tools DO you like to install?

shadowcat8 at excite.com shadowcat8 at excite.com
Wed May 16 12:41:41 PDT 2012

Some that have been invaluable to troubleshooting and resolving issues for me...

lshw ("list hardware" - MUCH better than lspci)
bing (It's the network-bandwidth measurement utility, NOT the M$ search client)
psmisc  (a package that contains fuser, killall, pstree, and peekfd)
vi/vim (Should be there anyway, but more distro's seem to be going with nano.)
sed & awk (if they're not already included)
telnet (Yes, I know, it's insecure for standard communication, but can you think of a better way to test a Mail Server from Command Line?)

A few others that help when I need them:

ffmpeg
mpg123
centerim
samba (Gotta love "net rpc info...")

And, of those already mentioned, bumps to:

screen
lynx
strace
nmap