[SGVLUG] OT: Why aren't there more women in tech?

Dustin Laurence dllaurence at dslextreme.com
Sun Mar 25 00:03:42 PDT 2012

I'm going to try to just ignore what I suspect the "hurt feelings"
thread is going to end up as and instead go in a different direction,
one where I learned that sometimes knowing gender tendencies
*matters*--even as a matter of physical safety.  This may not actually
be of any interest to anyone, but now that I've thought about it again
I'm happy to have a chance to organize my thoughts on it.

I'm sure I've mentioned any number of times that I used to teach kids to
sail big wooden boats--schooners and square-riggers.  The important
feature of those boats was that they were large machines with,
sometimes, enormous mechanical power in rigs that were designed for
seamen, not amateurs.  They can hurt or even kill you if you're
determined to do something really, really stupid.  It made me think a
lot about safety and how to teach it before something happened.

If my kids stuck around long enough, and had the aptitude, I wanted them
to go through the whole progression of learning to handle lines on
command under supervision, to being able to do it without supervision,
to learning to anticipate the commands, and finally to be able to give
them.  I had three kids that, at least in reasonable conditions, could
give the commands to carry out the captain's orders without any help
from the "real" mate.  Two were boys, and one was a girl, and I had
another girl who was close and would have gotten if she'd had more time
and if we hadn't lost the use of the smaller schooner that had been an
easier first step.

The funny thing is, for both lubbers and seamen, I had to handle them a
bit differently by gender--on average(*).  Usually it was a matter of
optimizing efficiency, but at a few points it was a matter of safety.
For those who were still learning the basics, the following would be
correct around, oh, maybe 70% of the time:

[[* We're clear about ensemble averages vs. individual elements, right?
  So in the rest of this I may or may not include statistical caveats on
obvious generalizations, because we all know how that works.  I hope.]]

#1.  As a matter of teaching efficiency, the girls needed to be pushed a
bit outside their comfort zone, because they would tend to avoid
tackling something they weren't sure of, and thereby would cheat
themselves of the experience of working it out the hard way for
themselves.  You can't do that carelessly, because sometimes they didn't
want to do something for the very good reason that they didn't know how
to do it safely--as #2 points out below, my girls had better
self-knowledge of their limits than the boys.  But they tended to
underestimate what they could tackle.  Therefore, for probably the
majority of girls, they would not learn at their potential unless I
asked them to stretch themselves in the right way.  Of course, the
usefulness of the (very informal) statistical tendencies was only useful
until I got to know them, and knew which girls did not have this trait
and which boys did.

For #1, the consequences of not recognizing the gender tendencies were
not terrible--it simply meant that I wasn't guessing right until I
figured out what was actually in their heads.  Basically, we lost some
useful training time, and as we only went once a month I was kind of
protective of that.  But for the girls and the fewer number of boys in
this category, they'd be safe.

More difficult was learning *how* to push people in the way that
benefited them most, and I frankly don't think I ever was terribly good
at it.  I could see gender tendencies there too, but part of not being
as good at it is not being able to characterize the differences as well
and so I don't break that out into a separate number.  Besides, as time
goes on you should know your kids and be teaching directly to who they
really are, not to the characteristics of some ensemble of kids they may
happen to belong to.  If you aren't doing that eventually, well, frankly
as a teacher you suck.

#2.  As a matter of safety, the boys would tend to go outside their
safety zone, and needed to be watched so that they did not tackle
something they did not understand and get themselves or someone else
hurt.  This was, I think, the strongest effect--in ten years I very
rarely had this problem with a girl, but I could count on one or two in
any group of boys to be ready to do something they simply could not do
safely.  On the other hand, if kept from hurting themselves, this helped
them learn faster.

For #2, the consequences of not recognizing the gender difference were a
statistical loss of safety--I was less likely to be watching the right
newcomers at the right time to avoid a problem.  This was, to me, a
serious problem, and to this day if anyone teaching seamanship under me
who had a problem with acting on that gender difference would probably
get thrown off my boat.  My sailors don't get hurt for reasons I can
prevent, not for *nobody's* ideology.

#2b.  Closely related to #2, and also a matter of safety--you can rely
on the girls to listen better and follow directions better than the
boys.  This difference persists throughout life, BTW, because you find
the same thing teaching, e.g. firearms safety.  Women are much better
students, because they listen.  The boys who don't fit this tendency are
usually the boys who do the best, of course.  (The most extreme case of
this was one and only one boy who I trusted to handle a dock line (dock
lines are the most dangerous lines on the boat, with potentially a few
tons of tension) on his first sail--the only kid I ever trusted to do
that.  Why?  He was an unusual case.  He came with a group of kids all
in identical sweatsuits and escorted by armed sheriff's deputies.  The
juvenile justice system had already taught him to listen to orders and
carry them out exactly, and he *wanted* to sail.  I'd have taken that
kid on a voyage around the world.)

The consequences of failing to understand #2b are usually just boys who
don't learn what they need to learn, but learning some things are vital
to safety.  It pays to learn as fast as you can which boys actually
listen, who will learn to listen, and who never will.

#3.  So much for the apprentices.  For the senior sailors, I saw
slightly different, and usually weaker, manifestations of the same
tendencies (moderated by a lot of experience, which makes almost
anything better).  And of course, at this level you know your kids
pretty well, so I never needed statistical rules to guess when I already
knew who they were.  But one case was pretty extreme.  Rachel, one of my
three kids who could function as mate, was nearly everything I wanted a
seaman to be--bright, alert, and totally reliable.  She had only one
real flaw, and that was giving orders without having a useful command
voice, usually phrased as a question ("would you like to harden up the
jib?"), and it showed in how the kids responded to her orders.  I used
to tell her not to ask questions whose answers were not of interest
("why no, madame mate, I really don't feel like hardening up the jib
right now, maybe after I have a soda"), or that "the first mate may be
all woman, but she's no lady" (which of course was a slander on what
real-life ladies were like, all of whom were bred to run the castle
staff with an iron hand--but she knew what I meant).  On the other hand,
Rachel usually sailed with her best friend Carolyn, who naturally gave
reasonable orders in a reasonable voice (Carolyn is the one I always
regretted not being able to train quite all the way up to function as
the mate).  Carolyn, as an individual, didn't really follow the tendency
even though her friend did.  But I suppose she didn't learn quite as
fast as Rachel.

It sometimes bothered me a bit doing that, because with Rachel in
particular it was simply who she was--she was polite, well mannered, and
kind, and it wasn't natural to give firm orders in the imperative.  In
the grand scheme of things, wasn't it her *positive* qualities that I
was trying to moderate?  It bothered me until I thought through what the
real issue was, and that was having options.  I used to tell her it was
really just learning a skill--she never had to like it, but in real life
outside of sailing she should know how to give orders in a voice that
invited obedience when she needed it.  After that, it was up to her how
she used that option.  She eventually became a teacher, and I like to
think running the deck on a boat was helpful when she first had to run a
classroom on her own.

In any event, the real point was that while gender-based statistical
predictions were irrelevant for *me* because I was dealing with one
individual, it seemed useful for *Rachel* so that learning to give
commands did not seem to make her someone she didn't want to be.  She
needed to recognize that (1) it's OK for her to be as ladylike as she
pleases, (2) it's useful for her to be able to have a rather unladylike
command manner when she is wearing the mate's hat, and (3) there is no
contradiction, because it's just a (metaphorical) hat that she could put
on and take off whenever she pleased.  I wasn't asking her to change who
she was--I was asking her to learn a voluntary skill and, perhaps, play
a role that she didn't identify with.

An observation at this point-- with one exception, gender rules really
don't work with professional tall-ship sailors *at all*, which,
interestingly, run not far from 50% women in my experience.  I think the
reason is simply that those who choose to do it for a living combine
extreme initial self-selection bias, the effects of training, and
perhaps also some selection against people who really aren't cut out for
it.  I've sailed with quite a few female mates, and I don't recall any
of them having problems giving direct commands in proper seamanlike
fashion.  Rachel sailed with some of them too, and it was those mates I
was reminding her of when I made my little joke about the mate being a
woman but not a lady.

(Oh, the exception.  It is this: if you want the heads (marine toilets)
to be clean, make it clear to the men that the women have the last word
on when the job has been done right.  The odds are about ten to one
against you if you trust the men to do quality control themselves.  Lazy
buggers.  The consequences of failing to understand this point are,
well, icky and smelly.)

Huh, I forgot another point, which I guess is a gender difference of a
different kind: most of the girls had less weight to put behind a line,
and so the best ones learned better technique than anyone else as
compensation.  I used to tell everyone to watch the lighter experienced
women sweat a line and do it exactly as they did--the big beefy guys
were no good as an example because they just didn't have to be good to
move a lot of weight.

The point is--well, really the point is that I'll take any excuse to
talk about boats, but theoretically the points were that (1) the
universe doesn't care about our little ideologies, and if we insist on
sufficiently unreal things it will punish us, and (2) because it is
statistical knowledge knowing gender differences is mostly only useful
when dealing with groups of people you don't know, but also (3)
sometimes, as I believe in Rachel's case, simply acknowledging a
tendency may make it easier to train against it.  I think it was true,
less dramatically, of others: I eventually learned to just tell new
sailors from the outset what the tendencies were, that it might or might
not apply to them, and that if it did it simply meant that they would
know what they needed to work on in order to be the safest and most
effective sailor.  I mostly did that to tell the boys in advance that
they needed to slow down more than they thought they did, but also to
tell the girls *why* someone might push them outside their comfort zone
so that they were prepared--or ideally, so we wouldn't need to in the
first place.

Knowledge, perhaps, really is power, and perhaps self-knowledge is power
over self--even if the self-knowledge is statistical and the self is
not.  Perhaps that's merely something of a mental trick, but so are
placebos and yet they can be useful.

Dustin