[SGVLUG] OT: Why aren't there more women in tech?

Rae Yip rae.yip at gmail.com
Sat Mar 24 11:38:34 PDT 2012

Correlation? I'd like to know how you measure "scientific aptitude".

I would definitely contest any claims of causation. Any "Brain Sex"
effects on different reasoning skills are very likely outweighed by
sociological factors, when it comes to measurable "real-world"
observations like %age of engineering PhDs (some stats are actually
improving with time).

It's a fallacy to think women aren't good with Science and Tech just
because there are fewer of them working in those fields.

Let's not pretend we are doing any favours to Science by griping about
people's sensitivity to this topic.  I have no problems with actual
scientific research into the subject, but discussing how somebody
might or might not be less gifted than you (no matter how obliquely)
is poor taste (especially without data to back it up, but even with
it), and it's reasonable to avoid doing so in public forum.

I do encourage discussion of how to make SVGLUG a more friendly
environment to people of all genders. BTW, everyone has read this
HOWTO, right?

http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Encourage-Women-Linux-HOWTO/

-Rae.