[SGVLUG] OT: Why aren't there more women in tech?

John Kreznar jek at ininx.com
Sat Mar 24 10:39:07 PDT 2012

In a message purporting to be from "juanslayton @dslextreme.com"
<juanslayton at dslextreme.com> but lacking a digital signature, it is
written:

> ... My daughter (Rebecca Marie Slayton) took her PhD at Harvard, but
> did most of her hands-on research at MIT. ... she has occasionally
> been the recipient of condescending treatment by male colleagues.  And
> by the media, which is a source of particular irritation.  Things are
> getting better, but it's still gonna take time.

Still, to deny the likelihood of a correlation between gender and
science aptitude, just as there is between most pairs of measurements of
human individuals, is, as Dustin says, to bend science.  Politically
correct, yes; true, not necessarily.

> I think the more serious question is, "Why aren't there more of
> _anybody_ going into tech?"  Nobody is going to get brownie points for
> scientific ignorance.

Yep.  Technical illiteracy has to go the way of illiteracy in natural
language.  Illiterates simply cannot cope in the modern world.

--
OpenPGP key: http://ininx.com
 John E. Kreznar jek at ininx.com 9F1148454619A5F08550 705961A47CC541AFEF13

  [Network Etiquette Guidelines (RFC 1855) reserves its strongest
  condemnation, "extremely bad form", for only one thing: including all
  the previous message in an email reply.]