[SGVLUG] OT: Why aren't there more women in tech?

juanslayton @dslextreme.com juanslayton at dslextreme.com
Sat Mar 24 09:09:17 PDT 2012

Interesting conversation.  Something tells me I ought not to go there, but
hey, I need a little excitement in my life....

After teaching 8-year-olds for 25 years, I can report that I don't see any
great difference between the genders, either in interest or achievement _at
this age level._  Interests change later on.

I do have a dog in this fight.  My daughter (Rebecca Marie Slayton) took
her PhD at Harvard, but did most of her hands-on research at MIT.  You may
notice that her initials (RMS) coincide with those of another well-known
person at MIT, and yes, she would occasionally get his e-mails by mistake.
Which is interesting, but irrelevant.  What is relevant is that she has
occasionally been the recipient of condescending treatment by male
colleagues.  And by the media, which is a source of particular irritation.
Things are getting better, but it's still gonna take time.

I think the more serious question is, "Why aren't there more of _anybody_
going into tech?"  Nobody is going to get brownie points for scientific
ignorance.