[SGVLUG] jobs jobs jobs

matti mathew_2000 at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 15 09:06:03 PDT 2012

Hi,

So we had a great question last night

What about a Degree?? ( Bachelors of Arts/Science, etc.. )
( I will paraphrase Todd CC from the last presentation he did for sgvlug,
and add my own perception.. please feel free to chime in ;)

Honestly, the MOST important is having:
1) The knowledge/skills and experience.
2) Being able to show the above.
3) Being able to work well with others with a positive lets get it done attitude.
[ did I miss anything? ]

3 - Is very important. ( anyone got a list of what they look for here? )

That stated, SOME places follow rules which can cause challenges
to HR/hiring managers.

IF a job post has listed as REQUIRED skills/degrees the candidate HAS

to have those, IF NOT and they want to hire someone without those
skills they have to resubmit the job position with the missing skills placed
into the "NICE to have" section AND interview more people. (i.e. take

more time )

I believe this is typically the case with larger companies.
I suspect having a formal education and degree will continue to be
highly valued at many companies in the future..

OH! and one recruiter I spoke to said the tech industry has about
a 3% unemployment. SO, if you are not planning to get a BA/BS
you probably still have a good chance at getting employment
IF you can show strengths with 1, 2, 3 AND look at companies
which are flexible about the any degree requirements.
( note, you may get paid less in some cases )

thanks
matti