[SGVLUG] A Magazine for Raspberry Pi Users

James McDuffie mcduffie at pitfall.org
Wed Jun 6 23:05:55 PDT 2012

If you follow the Raspberry Pi RSS feed you might have heard about The
Mag Pi, A Magazine for Raspberry Pi users:
http://www.themagpi.com/

If you have not heard about it or have not taken a look then I suggest
you flip through their two issues so far.

The magazine has an angle that meshes with one of the Raspberry Pi
Foundation's goals: bringing back that hobbyist programmer/electronics
mentality that existed in the 80s/early 90s that seems to have
disappeared among the mass of computer users. This magazine has a number
of articles geared towards beginners.

Some of the beginner articles include:
* How to set up a Linux under a virtual machine
* Writing programs in Python
* Understanding how to connect your Raspberry Pi to different types of
devices
* Some basics on connecting your Pi to a USB robotics arm

For me the highlights were:
* A history of how the Raspberry Pi came to be
* A nice graphic showing what parts of the Raspberry Pi board do
* A article about using a mod tracker for music creation! I haven't
thought much about mod files since the late 90s!

I think these guys are doing a great job of trying to introduce that
DIY/hobbyist spirit to more people. And if you know someone who is just
starting out, maybe they could find this magazine useful.