[SGVLUG] No Netflix for Linux

Michael Proctor-Smith mproctor13 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 13 11:56:56 PST 2012

The reason that Netflix does not support generic Linux desktop is not
really technical, it is contractual with the content owners, and does
not have to do with Silverlight. They support PS3, Wii, Blue-ray
Players, Android, Roku and Chrome OS all of which do not use
silverlight, but do support an approved DRM(digital rights management)
scheme. The reason that Netflix does not support generic Linux desktop
is that the generic Linux desktop does not support an approved DRM
scheme. Android, Roku, Chrome OS are all Linux based but have
implemented DRM that Netflix feels is compatible with what ever the
content owners are requiring.

The solution is for the open source community to design and implement
a DRM scheme that could work in the open source ecosystem. Most of the
problem being that many, I might say most, in the open source
community are against DRM for philosophical reasons. So chances of DRM
scheme being implemented that would be acceptable to content owners
and the FOSS community is low.

The result is that we don't get to watch Netflix streaming on the
Linux desktop. Breaking someone else's DRM scheme in order to do some
thing that user think they "should" be able to do can have unintended
consequences. People broke DRM on the PS3 in part using Linux so Sony
took away the ability to run Linux on the PS3.