[SGVLUG] No Netflix for Linux

Dave <3 Ubuntu dave at iheartubuntu.com
Mon Feb 13 10:34:01 PST 2012

Netflix running on linux is becoming sort of a holy grail these days.
Ive blogged about it a bunch of times and its one of the most requested
features. With it working on Chrome OS, I dont understand why it doesnt
get ported to other linux distros (well, we know why). I would think for
those with any programming knowledge to check into how/why Netflix in
Chrome OS is working fine, but not for the rest of the linux community.

There are a couple simple workarounds for now. Ive successfully ran
Netflix in Windows XP via Virtual Box. A computer with at least 4GB
memory is pretty much needed otherwise video will be choppy in Netflix
set to full screen. If you have an Android account, you can also run the
Android OS using Virtual Box and run the Netflix app. if seen it done,
but have not personally done this myself.

Those workarounds are obviously not native for us. Not everyone has
Virtual Box or wants to run XP at all.

There was another "kind of native" solution I've read about, but dont
know if it works. Install and run a program called "PCSX2", a
Playstation emulator and then find the ISO for the Netflix disc that
Netflix used to ship to people who wanted to run Netflix on their
Playstations. Ive included a couple links in case it helps with your
research.

http://www.reddit.com/r/linux/comments/kzlaf/want_netflix_on_linux_with_pcsx2_now_you_can_has/

Info on Dolphin emulator (for Wii & Gamecube)...

http://forums.dolphin-emulator.com/showthread.php?tid=10022

Hope the info helps in your quest!

Best Regards, Dave