[SGVLUG] small UPS recommendation?

Claude Felizardo cafelizardo at gmail.com
Thu Dec 6 18:01:01 PST 2012

I've been very happy with the APC XS 1500G.  We had one for maybe 3 or
4 months and decided to pick up 2 more when they were on sale at a
local chain.  I've got one for the fileserver and TiVo in the Living
Room that replaced the old 1400, another in the Family room with the
twin TiVo's that replaced a 750 and another under my desk with dual
monitors that replaced an 1200 that recently died.  I think there's
another 750 or 500 for the kid's computer and cordless phone and I
forget what's in the wiring closet.

I usually get replacement batteries at Orvac/Duvac/Marvac near PCC
though I have not had to replace batteries for the newer ones yet.
For the older models, I'm guessing I must have replaced each set at
least twice before the UPS finally died but I'm talking 8+ years if
not longer.

I've been running the same apcupsd init script for years and only had
to update the config when upgrading to a newer UPS.  I used to use the
simple signaling cable between the UPS and computer that could only
tell you if it's on battery power or not and maybe if the battery is
about to die?  All the newer models I get have a USB interface so I
can get more info:

APC      : 001,038,1022
DATE     : Fri Nov 09 12:35:28 PST 2012
HOSTNAME : homeserver
VERSION  : 3.14.7 (1 August 2009) mandrake
UPSNAME  : homeserver
CABLE    : USB Cable
MODEL    : Back-UPS XS 1500G
UPSMODE  : Stand Alone
STARTTIME: Mon Nov 05 00:25:01 PST 2012
STATUS   : ONBATT
LINEV    : 122.0 Volts
LOADPCT  :  12.0 Percent Load Capacity
BCHARGE  : 100.0 Percent
TIMELEFT :  63.9 Minutes
MBATTCHG : 10 Percent
MINTIMEL : 5 Minutes
MAXTIME  : 4800 Seconds
SENSE    : Medium
LOTRANS  : 088.0 Volts
HITRANS  : 139.0 Volts
ALARMDEL : Always
BATTV    : 25.3 Volts
LASTXFER : Automatic or explicit self test
NUMXFERS : 1
XONBATT  : Fri Nov 09 12:35:29 PST 2012
TONBATT  : 0 seconds
CUMONBATT: 0 seconds
XOFFBATT : N/A
SELFTEST : NO
STATFLAG : 0x07040010 Status Flag
MANDATE  : 2012-02-16
SERIALNO : xxxxxx
BATTDATE : 2012-02-16
NOMINV   : 120 Volts
NOMBATTV :  24.0 Volts
NOMPOWER : 865 Watts
FIRMWARE : 866.L6 .D USB FW:L6
APCMODEL : Back-UPS XS 1500G
END APC  : Fri Nov 09 12:35:29 PST 2012

Looks like this one is about do for another auto self test in the next
day or two.  Last month it was at 12% load with estimated 64 minutes
run time.  Hmm, I think it's got the fileserver, TiVo Series 2, WiFi
access point, a 4-bay NAS box and possibly a small gaming console
connected to it.  I very much like the LCD display and long running
time on the 1500.

I should add a disclaimer that I have been compensated by APC in the
past.  Looks like I'm still in the top few hits if you do a google
search on "apc ups felizardo"

Claude