[SGVLUG] small UPS recommendation?

Scott Packard spackard at gmail.com
Thu Dec 6 17:11:54 PST 2012

Be aware that kVA is a higher number than kW.
What OS are you going to use it with, or are you going to let it
hard-shutdown?

APC is good; I use a 1997 one for home I bought used, and it still works
fine and replacement batteries are easy to find.
It is a SmartUPS; recently I d/l the software and made a cable for it so I
could auto-shutdown a host.
The software allows much more monitoring than I thought was available, so
that was a plus.
Their newer models use an RJ-50 (10-pin RJ-45) so you have to spend the
money for a custom cable.

HPs are okay; Compaq's seem to fail after several years.  Software is
almost impossible to find on their site, and cables are very expensive and
it's hard to find hobbiest support.

Tripp-Lite occupies a bit of a niche.  Cheap, but monitoring software could
be considered a few steps behind in my opinion, but I have good memories of
an inverter I bought decades ago from them.

Last, Eaton makes large ones, and some rack-mount ones.  I see they make
small ones, but I have no experience with them.

- Scott