[SGVLUG] LPRs increase usage of, including non-government

Sean O'Donnell sean at seanodonnell.com
Wed Aug 22 22:23:39 PDT 2012

Most modern vehicles have RFID chips embedded in Tire Pressure or
Temperature Sensors, which can relay VIN# data.

This may seem scarier than it is, like most paranoid big-brother
articles, but believe it or not, there has (quietly) been a pretty
interesting implementation of this technology on our highways, for a few
years now, in terms of state-border security and CBRNE sensors, which
help CHP quickly become aware of any vehicle that may trip such sensors.

As far as private companies collecting LP data... I'm not sure that is
any worse than my grocery store collecting my food purchase data, or
google penetrating my neighbors wifi and sniffing the data on his home
LAN. I think the RFID chips, considering that they relay VIN#s, would
provide more invasive data collection practices, once private companies
move to that realm.