[SGVLUG] print server recommendations

Scott Packard spackard at gmail.com
Fri Aug 17 19:12:54 PDT 2012

I used to use Axis Communications print servers, back in the day.
I looked at their website just now and saw some info that may be
pertinent to your quest for a print server:

Host-based printers

In order to reduce manufacturing costs, host-based printers using new
printing technologies have been introduced on the market. The
following printing methods are not supported by Axis print servers:

    CAPT (Canon Advanced Printing Technology) *

    GDI (Graphic Display Interface used by HP, Lexmark and many others)

    PPA (Printing Performance Architecture used by HP)

In these printers, the complicated data processing has been moved from
the printer into the PC client (host) and the software driver. This
way printers can be built using cheap processors and reduced memory.

The drawback is that it is not possible to network such printers. A
printer needs a steady flow of data, which is easily accomplished when
it is connected directly to a PC, but cannot be guaranteed when the
printer is connected via a LAN. Also, these technologies require
intensive handshaking between the driver and the printer. However, the
communication will time-out often enough over the LAN to make the
solution impractical.