[SGVLUG] Active Directory and linux

Joel Witherspoon joel.witherspoon at gmail.com
Wed Apr 25 22:43:46 PDT 2012

1) If they have a second server, even if it's licensed for Windows 2003, go
ahead and use it as a backup. Redundancy is key with AD. Ensure the 2003
has updated GPOs. You can find them here:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943729

2) If the second server doesn't work out, have separate partitions
(primaries if you can do it) for the Window OS, NTDS Database (this is the
AD database - CRITICAL), NTDS Log (Holds the transaction database. AD is
SQL based), and SYSVOL (holds the roaming profiles, scripts, launcher
files, etc). Back these partitions every one to two days depending upon how
often you update AD. Backing up AD is not difficult, but it's convoluted
and complicated. Here's more information:
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc771290(v=ws.10).aspx

3) DNS is what AD uses to find users and hosts.  Set up the first DC with
DNS. In accordance with standards, you'll need the secondary DNS available.
Even if you don't use the 2003 server as a DC, you can use its DNS service.
Otherwise, check the Linux server to see if it can handle MS SRV records.
If it can, you are gold. Zone Transfer from the  PDNS to the SDNS as often
as possible.

Once you have this setup, AD is a walk in the park.