[SGVLUG] jobs jobs jobs and the recruiters who sell us

Sean O'Donnell sean at seanodonnell.com
Tue Apr 24 12:46:14 PDT 2012

On 04/23/2012 04:11 PM, Julie wrote:

> Here are the 2 good ones I would highly recommend:
>
> qconnects.com - ask for Evelina
> SMCI in Glendale - ask for Elena Zacky

I highly recommend Strategic Staffing Solutions (s3).

http://www.strategicstaff.com/

Carlos Martinez, in particular.

> From: matti <mathew_2000 at yahoo.com <mailto:mathew_2000 at yahoo.com>>
>
> This has me wonder HOW can I tell if the recruiter is worth
> going through.

I've had very little success w/ the majority of recruiters or other
agencies that I've encountered over the years. S3 has been awesome,
though. Oxford & Associates is another one I'd consider.

I think the best way to gauge a recruiter, especially in this field, is
to try to determine whether or not they sound like a used-car salesman,
or are in fact a technical-recruiter.

If they are actually normal, and not overly animated or
vocally-caffeinated, then they may be worth your time. The ones who
sound like they're news anchors or salesmen, are probably on a
cattle-call and best to be avoided.

Then there is the internal HR-recruiter... those seem most inviting, but
often lack true technical-recruiting skills. I.e. They spell 'Perl' as
'Pearl' on job ads, etc. Definitely run if you see this. =P

-Sean