[SGVLUG] job markets and interviews

Dan Kegel dank at kegel.com
Tue Apr 17 22:54:37 PDT 2012

On Tue, Apr 17, 2012 at 9:42 PM, Jesse Garcia <aicrag11 at gmail.com> wrote:
>  I really enjoyed your info! I am still in school and was looking to see
> hopefully to get some experience while in school so that by the time I
> graduate, I have more than just that requirement, I have the experience that
> many require as well. Being that I'm new to this I don't know how realistic
> it is for me to think this is possible. I read Dans email and am currently
> working to learning the skill sets required to apply for his internship.

*blush* I admit, my internship is exactly as Matti described:
the intern will get more experience than cash out of it.  But I have
helped a lot of guys up a rung of the ladder.

> But
> what do you guys recommend for a beginner in programming, currently still
> learning C an plan to move up gradually, but I notice on these emails I half
> the time don't understand . So what kind of studying can I do, aside from
> school, to learn these things in advanced. Mostly pertaining to programming.
> Books or anything... Thanks in advanced.

Program something before noon every day.
Small is good.
Don't be afraid to fail.
Try test-driven development -- when it fits, it's very helpful.
- Dan