[SGVLUG] 1) Community Structure lecture Mon 4/16 2) E-waste collection on-campus 4/20

matti mathew_2000 at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 15 09:59:22 PDT 2012

Hi,

Just wanted to share a few items scheduled at Caltech:

1) This lecture looks like it should be interesting:

Community Structure in Networks
Date: Monday April 16, 2012 4:15 PM - 5:15 PM
Location: 105 Annenberg
Mason Porter presents..
http://today.caltech.edu/calendar/item.tcl?calendar_id=134339

a bit more on Porter ( he's a techer btw ):
http://www.sigmaxi.org/programs/prizes/young.porter.shtml

Porter has a number of papers he co-authored, you can search for them
via google

here's a video you may find interesting:
Mason Porter (University of Oxford):“Social structure of Facebook networks”
http://vimeo.com/36335914

2) Earth day is nearing, thus you can expect the usual promotion of recycling
( i really don't know why it took so long to start doing this .. I suspect if copper

and other metals get priced much higher we'll be mining old city dumps one day.. )

E-Waste Round-upDate: Friday April 20, 2012 8:00 AM - 12:00 PM
Responsibly recycle your old electronic equipment at the Caltech Recycling Center.

http://today.caltech.edu/calendar/item.tcl?calendar_id=140688

thanks
matti