[SGVLUG] various creative spaces around town..

Braddock Gaskill braddock at braddock.com
Fri Apr 13 09:00:04 PDT 2012

If you haven't been to John's space, you are in for a treat.  He has a
very impressive array of equipment, including top notch CNC's, computer
controlled lathes, etc.

John had a couple of us over for a introduction to the machine tools in
his shop late last year and it was a great experience.

The bottle opener looks great John!  Teach us how to make them!

-braddock

On Fri, 13 Apr 2012 00:01:16 -0700 (PDT), John Wang <red744t at yahoo.com>
wrote:
> I've been working on a open source oriented space, www.tux-lab.com for a
> while.   The goal is to build physical objects with open source
software.
> It's a slow process but I'm finally finishing up a simple bottle opener,
> designed with FreeCAD, used OpenOffice calc for a long list of inch to
> millimeter unit converion (FreeCAD is metric only for now), dimensioned
> with LibreCAD (in inches), the logo was designed with Inksacpe,  The
g-code
> for machining was writen using gedit.   The project website is running
> Ruby/Rails/Apache.  All the server/workstation/laptop are running
Debian.

> The bottle opener is very simple but everything from design to
> manufacturing was/is being completed with open source software.   The
> status of the bottle opener is at,
>
> http://www.tux-lab.com/tux_project_detail?id=2#84
>
> Ultimately, I like to form a domestic manufacturing entity using
entirely
> open source software and is fiscally and intellectually transparent.
> However, for now it's just learning the various required open source
> tools.   If anyone is interested and would like to meet on a regular
basis
> to learn the various open source tools, ie KiCAD, FreeCAD, CAELinux,
> g-code/CAM, arduino, ROS,  and etc, please let me know.    I don't know
> enough to teach so we'll have to use the distributive group learning
> model.
>
> Open source manufacturing sounds cool but I have very limited experience
> with either so it takes an obscene amount of time to do the simplest
task
> at a barely acceptable level.   A few people have express interest and
I'll