[SGVLUG] various creative spaces around town..

John Wang red744t at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 13 00:01:16 PDT 2012

I've been working on a open source oriented space, www.tux-lab.com for a while.   The goal is to build physical objects with open source software.   It's a slow process but I'm finally finishing up a simple bottle opener, designed with FreeCAD, used OpenOffice calc for a long list of inch to millimeter unit converion (FreeCAD is metric only for now), dimensioned with LibreCAD (in inches), the logo was designed with Inksacpe,  The g-code for machining was writen using gedit.   The project website is running Ruby/Rails/Apache.  All the server/workstation/laptop are running Debian.

The bottle opener is very simple but everything from design to manufacturing was/is being completed with open source software.   The status of the bottle opener is at,

http://www.tux-lab.com/tux_project_detail?id=2#84

Ultimately, I like to form a domestic manufacturing entity using entirely open source software and is fiscally and intellectually transparent.   However, for now it's just learning the various required open source tools.   If anyone is interested and would like to meet on a regular basis to learn the various open source tools, ie KiCAD, FreeCAD, CAELinux, g-code/CAM, arduino, ROS,  and etc, please let me know.    I don't know enough to teach so we'll have to use the distributive group learning model.

Open source manufacturing sounds cool but I have very limited experience with either so it takes an obscene amount of time to do the simplest task at a barely acceptable level.   A few people have express interest and I'll schedule a walk through/demo on the making of the bottle opener with a simple g-code intro once I complet the project.

thanks,

John