[SGVLUG] A modest proposal (for the SGVLUG website)

James McDuffie mcduffie at pitfall.org
Wed Apr 11 10:59:16 PDT 2012

Lemme just correct some typos in my last message.... Sorry...

On 04/11/2012 10:39 AM, James McDuffie wrote:
> On 04/11/2012 10:33 AM, matti wrote:
>> I'm happy with the main page being static with the most important
>> material on it.
>>
>> Personally, I still want to see people land at sgvlug.org /www.sgvlug.org
>> (i.e. not be redirected to another site.. )
>>
>> hmmm.. I wonder.. Is there a way to do that @github??
>
> Yes you can. All you have to do is have a file called CNAME in your
> website repository and point your existing A record to 204.232.175.78
That should read "CNAME file"

> See section "Custom Domains"
> http://help.github.com/pages/
>
>> Drupal was supposed to help us provide a bit more..
>
> And there is no reason for these capabilities to be somewhere and used
> in conjunction with a static site. I just think the main page of the
> club should be as fault tolerant (or people tolerant) as possible.
This should read "to not be somewhere else". Meaning any dynamic
capabilities could be on a different server. The static page would of
course link to them. I suppose there could be a drupal.sgvlug.org
subdomain or something similar.

>  > Alas time is so fleeting...
>
> Yes so lets keep the core simple and anything additional is great but
> holding up having a more long term and maintainable solution.
This should read "not holding up".

Amazing how the elimination of a couple words changes the meaning!