[SGVLUG] Cheapest way to extend laptop wifi range?

Dan Kegel dank at kegel.com
Wed Apr 4 15:14:40 PDT 2012

On Wed, Apr 4, 2012 at 3:08 PM, matti <mathew_2000 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> So, the issue with newer laptops is that their antenna is now in the LCD frame,
> and there is no good way to easily connect a better antenna to it.
> ( lol, tho I did like the idea of reflecting signals to it using a foil pie plate ;)
>
> Thus I think you should be looking for another wifi "card" - usb dongle

Right.

> and using it in a home make antenna like you see here"
> http://www.usbwifi.orconhosting.net.nz/

I really want something durable, small, and professional-looking,
and I don't want to have to aim it; omnidirectional whips are probably
just good enough.

> also, you can try different frequencies/channels in case you are experiencing
> interference.

Hmm, can I?  I thought the access point controlled that.

> Let us know what works Dan.

The $9 usb adaptor I mentioned earlier, plus a 5dbi whip, did let
me connect to TWCWifi from the corner of Washington and La Brea,
which was not possible with the laptop's built-in antenna.  (The hotspot
is just over the hill south on La Brea.)   The majority of major intersections
I've tried in my area are now ok, so I'm probably happy.

Thanks,
Dan