[SGVLUG] Cheapest way to extend laptop wifi range?

matti mathew_2000 at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 4 15:08:43 PDT 2012

Hi,

So, the issue with newer laptops is that their antenna is now in the LCD frame,
and there is no good way to easily connect a better antenna to it.
( lol, tho I did like the idea of reflecting signals to it using a foil pie plate ;)

Thus I think you should be looking for another wifi "card" - usb dongle

and using it in a home make antenna like you see here"

http://www.usbwifi.orconhosting.net.nz/

Of course you could try to connect a better antenna to the laptop, but
that's a bit more work than I would like to do. ( having repaired a number
of laptops I really don't like to open up the case unless I have to.. )

also, you can try different frequencies/channels in case you are experiencing
interference.

Let us know what works Dan.

thanks
matti