[SGVLUG] Fwd: BackTrack Linux - News And Updates

Stan Slonkosky stan.ke6zc at gmail.com
Tue Sep 13 19:51:55 PDT 2011

BackTrack 5 R1 released

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: BackTrack Linux <dontreply at backtrack-linux.org>
Date: Tue, Sep 13, 2011 at 19:46
Subject: BackTrack Linux - News And Updates
To: stan.ke6zc at gmail.com

Hi there, BackTrack addict.

We have some exciting news regarding the release of BackTrack 5 R1, Live
courses by Offensive Security, our spanking band new custom ISO builder and
more. Read on for more information.

######################
BackTrack 5 R1 Released
######################

If you have not already heard, BackTrack 5 r1 has been released. This
release is a refinement of the previous, with 120 bugfixes, 70 tool updates,
and 30 new tools added. The kernel has been updated to 2.6.39.4 with all
injection patches applied.

Be sure to hit the website (http://www.backtrack-linux.org/downloads/) to
download your copy. Gnome and KDE 32 and 64bit ISOs and a 32bit Gnome VMWare
image are waiting for you. As always, if you encounter issues, please make
use of our RedMine interface (http://redmine.backtrack-linux.org:8080/) to
report any issues or tool changes/additions you might need.

Penetration Testing with BackTrack in the Caribbean

Do not miss your chance to hack in paradise with Penetration Testing with
BackTrack in the Caribbean held in St. Kitts (
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_Kitts) November 28th to December 2nd!

Penetration Testing with BackTrack is our most popular course, designed for
network administrators and security professionals who need to get acquainted
with the world of Offensive Security. The intensive, 5-day course introduces
the latest hacking tools and techniques, and includes rich labs for
exercising the material presented to the students in a live classroom
setting.

Located just a short flight from Florida, we have been able to negotiate an
incredible rate with a St. Kitts based hotel to be able to offer you this
unbelievable location for what amounts to less than many US-based locations.
There are still some seats available, so be sure check out our sign up page
(
http://www.offensive-security.com/live-information-security-training/pentesting-with-backtrack/).
But hurry before it sells out!

Advanced Windows Exploitation Five Day Course

We are excited to be offering our Advanced Windows Exploitation class live
in Columbia MD October 24th to the 28th. Students who attend this course
should have a very keen understanding of exploit development and have a few
under their belt. This is NOT an entry-level course and just might be the
most hardcore class of its kind on the market today.

The course covers topics such as Egghunters, NX bypassing Techniques,
Function Pointer Overwrites, Heap Spraying, Writing Immunity Plugins,
Venetian Shellcode Encoding and custom shellcode creation. This course is
extremely hands-on and includes a lab environment that is geared to
challenge and bring the most out of you. The case studies covered include
vulnerabilities discovered by our research team, or exploits written by us.

This is the first time we have offered this course outside of Black Hat,
where it fills up days after registration opening. Do not miss your chance
to attend this sought after course and sign up before it is full (
http://www.offensive-security.com/live-information-security-training/advanced-windows-exploitation/
).

Custom BackTrack ISO Builder and Commercial Support

We have released a new paid service that will allow easy, online generation
of custom built BackTrack images. Users who require custom builds will be
able to use a simple web interface to configure and customize various
aspects of BackTrack, such as package selection, graphics, penetration
testing templates, drivers etc. We are very excited about this new service
as it will provide a unique opportunity for various organizations and
individuals to create unique and highly customized BackTrack environments
for the first time. A percentage of all profits from this service will be
directed towards Johnny Longs HFC (http://www.hackersforcharity.org/)
program.

Along with this, we have also released a new service that will allow large
organizations that require official support to deploy BackTrack in their
networks, to finally do so. The BackTrack Support Channel will allow for
direct communication with our developers to aid in easy enterprise
installation and deployment processes. The service will initially be
provided to enterprise organizations only.

Check out these new services at our new site,
https://www.backtrack-linux.com/.

Never fear however, as even with these new commercial services going on,
rest assured that we are fully committed to a free, open-source BackTrack,
forever. This will never change. We hope that through our commercial
services, we will be able to better fund BackTrack and (heaven forbid)
actually start paying our developers for their time and effort.

--
Stan Slonkosky