[SGVLUG] Xen

Dan Buthusiem dan.buthusiem at gmail.com
Sat Sep 10 16:43:25 PDT 2011

The base hardware for my main rig was about $300 plus hard disks (currently
at 5... I just can't stop buying them!). My Athlon 7750x2 ran guests on my
Win 7 / Ubuntu hosts with the only issue being hard disk bottle necking
during boot or heavy IO. I use VirtualBox with AMD-v enabled.

Sent from mobile.
On Sep 10, 2011 3:55 PM, "Rae Yip" <rae.yip at gmail.com> wrote:
> Matt Campbell has looked into a fair bit of this, though he settled on
> using VirtualBox.
>
> As mentioned in the WP article, there are a couple different
> chipset/BIOS support features that assist with virtualization. It's a
> fairly tricky support matrix, but there's a lot you can do without
> hardware support depending on what you're after, so it helps to have a
> firm direction in mind be for plunking down a few grand in hardware.
>
> -Rae.
>
> On Sat, Sep 10, 2011 at 1:35 PM, matti <mathew_2000 at yahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am looking at playing around with XEN and
>> read documentation that the BIOS should support
>> it. ( I have a nice AMD chip for this.. )
>>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AMD-V#AMD_virtualization_.28AMD-V.29
>> "Chipset
>>
>> Memory and I/O virtualization is performed by the chipset.[29] Typically,
if the BIOS doesn't enable these features, then virtualization software
can't use them, which is a common problem."