[SGVLUG] Fw: [Lamp-announce] Meeting this Saturday: Supercookies

Solomon K. Chang skevin521 at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 16 23:13:54 PDT 2011

Sorry, Gents, I had a brief lack communication with Jorge, who had already booked this weekend's talk. The topic will NOT be Supercookies, but...

Lambdas in PHP 5.3

When: Saturday, August 20, 2011 1:00 PM

Where: Tom Bradley Youth and Family Center
5213 West Pico Blvd.
Los Angeles, CA 90019
213-915-4402

This is a Joint meetup between LAPHP and LAMPsig.

PRESENTATION DESCRIPTION

One of PHP5.3's terrific features is the ability to use lambdas.  But,
wait, didn't we already have that with PHP5?  What was create_function()
 about after all?  What is the difference between a lambda and a closure
 or is there any in PHP? Come and explore with me these and other
questions in an adventure to discover the truth about lambdas in PHP.
The presentation touches on the origins of the lambda and  its
implementation in PHP5.3.  Far greater emphasis is on live code
demonstrations of lambdas (and closures, too!) as well as in-depth
discussion about the code.

ABOUT SHARON LEVY

Sharon is a Zend Certified Engineer in PHP5, equally comfortable working
 with UNIX, Linux or Windows platforms. Her accomplishments in public
speaking include dynamic, multi-media presentations at code camps and
PHP meetups.  She has also presented at SCALE (WIOS) and was the local
speaker representing the Los Angeles area at the 2009 Code Works
conference.  The premier magazine php|architect has published several of
 her articles whose subjects range from email verification to web-based
retrieval, to her latest endeavor regarding PHP's support for lambdas.
Writing and public speaking activities compliment her primary focus,
providing professional web development services for companies in diverse
 industries, from startups to the Fortune 500.