[SGVLUG] Article about Tom in the Glendale News Press

bobjaffray at juno.com bobjaffray at juno.com
Sun Apr 17 06:53:05 PDT 2011

---------- Original Message ----------
From: David Lawyer <dave at lafn.org>
To: "SGVLUG Discussion List." <sgvlug at sgvlug.net>
Subject: Re: [SGVLUG] Article about Tom in the Glendale News Press
Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2011 08:04:27 -0700

On Sat, Apr 16, 2011 at 10:18:45AM -0400, Robert Leyva wrote:
> There was a nice article about Tom in the Glendale News Press.
>
> http://www.glendalenewspress.com/news/tn-vsl-thomas-d-tom-emerson-20110405,0,4624397.story
>

> > Here is what I posted to the top of sgvlug.org words fail.
> >
> > Long time Member, Webmaster, Former MC, and general Fixture of the San
> > Gabriel Valley User Group. Tom Emerson passed away this last weekend,
> > many of us only learned of it at the last General Meeting on March
> > 10th.

The statement that Tom was a founding member of the LUG probably isn't
true as far as I know.  Here's the first 3 paragraphs of what I wrote
about the LUG history.  I don't remember him being present at
Altadena.  But he was one of the 11 people (including me) who showed
up at my house for the first (and last) steering committee meeting on
3 Sept. 1998.  I remember him because he came early and was the first
to arrive.

		History of San Gabriel Valley Linux Users Group
			by David S. Lawyer, Jan. 2005

It was founded on Nov. 11, 1995 by Gunther Schleinkofer.  It met in
his small abode in Altadena at 481 Sacramento St.  Attendance was only
a few to several people in his small living room.  There was no
program.  People just sat and talked.  Gunther was the leader.

Then in early 1998?, the group moved it's meetings to Fuller Theological
Seminary at the invitation from IT people at Fuller, one of whom was
Christoph Lamenter (also a student there). The first meetings at
Fuller were around a large table but it soon moved to an auditorium
where speakers presented programs.  Thus the meeting format changed
from informal discussion to presentation.

There was a lot of talk about organizing formally and a Steering
Committee meeting of 11 people was held on 3 Sept. 1998.  No consensus
was reached on how to organize or if we needed to formally organize.
But certain people volunteered for certain tasks (secretary,
publicity, meeting room, etc.).  Craig Zeller was to continue to
provide our website and mailing list and moderate the next 2 meetings.
There exists two different reports on the result of this meeting.
In 1999, Tom Emerson began to moderate meetings.

BJ: Guenther helped a lot of us neophytes with installation
at the garage converted to an singles apartment. With problems
in scheduling at Fuller Seminary and growth in attendance.
Tom filled introducing meetings for lack of anyone else.
Guenther could not make it because of responsibilities to
care for his small son but he would be considered the real
founder.

Bob