[SGVLUG] DSL: static or faster?

DJ Byrne djbyrne at jpl.nasa.gov
Tue Mar 9 19:02:29 PST 2010

On Mar 9, 2010, at 6:49 PM, matti wrote:
>> Password resets are trivial with att. They ask for billing
>> address, last bill amount and last four of primary account
>> holder social.
>
> works well enough if it's your account, however
> for many businesses in my experience.. it can burn
> you.
>
> what IF you dont have that person ready available
> in the office when the outage happens????
> and/or the bills are locked up somewhere in "accounting".
>
> or if that person doesnt want to give you the info
> fast enough to restore service after waiting on hold
> for tech support..
>
> IF the tech who setup the original router/modem would
> appropriately document the user/pw and other settings
> in a place which one has access to then you can reduce
> the recovery time here. In my experience with numerous
> small-medium biz they don't.
>
> recovery is never fast enough, the "older way"
> without PPPoE was a faster recovery in my experience.

I've had a bad experience getting AT&T DSL.
Part my bad, part a flooded AT&T box for the
neighborhood, but mostly the 30-60 minute wait
for any call to their support line.

Any glitch takes an chunk of annoying time trying
to get through to the right person, and they don't
talk to each other in real time.  I'd finish with
the support tech, then have to call (and wait) to
get through to the billing department, then again
for the next step.