[SGVLUG] DSL: static or faster?

Charles N Wyble charles at knownelement.com
Tue Mar 9 12:51:25 PST 2010

On 03/09/2010 12:02 PM, Emerson, Tom (*IC) wrote:
> Hello Claude - to answer your questions to me originally, I still have
> 384k sync (up and down) for the same reason as you (static IP and a
> specific clause in their TOS that allows me to "run a server")  A few
> weeks back I was cold-called to "upgrade" to u-verse, and I
> specifically asked them if they provided a static IP - she had to ask
> someone, but did come back and say "yes, that is included" - I'm not
> really holding my breath, but it does sound like a step in the right
> direction.  (also, while talking to the cold-caller, I mentioned I
> wasn't interested in the "other" features, so I was told I needed to
> shop online for it as she could only sell me a "bundle", but it was
> available separately.)

Yep. You can get internet only.

> For a while I was without phone service at all [good with the bad - I
> was "on" the internet too much anyway, so this provided a nice break -
> besides, the only people that called ME were telemarketers...]  turns
> out they had replaced the local "green box" with a new "beige box"
> about 50 yards farther away [but still close enough I could hit it
> with a strong throw - it's downhill :) ]  and when they did, they
> forgot to connect my line (or else the connection was "loose" and
> finally fell off)  In any case, that new "beige" box is, of course,
> fiber; the last couple hundred yards is likely copper, but maybe they
> could run fiber as well (not sure what the reqs are at that distance)

Look into VDSL for all the details. Fiber in the loop, fiber to the node
are a couple things to look up. If you want to really get down and
dirty, buy a copy of Implementing ADSL.

> since my "modem" is the old "alcatel 1000", which apparently is a
> piece of crap (though it works fine for me), if I "upgrade" I'll
> probably be given a new modem (and, as someone pointed out, probably
> be forced into ppoe or similar)  Does anyone know what the actual "top
> speed" for the alcatel is?  maybe I can convince them to simply
> upgrade the existing connection if it will work...

What's wrong with PPPoE? I run a PPPoE client on my Cisco 1841 edge
router and just leave the modem in bridge mode. This lets me have full
and complete control over my WAN connection. Port forwarding/QOS etc
etc. DHCP is a huge amount of overhead and security risk. One giant
layer2 domain. Ethernet doesn't scale for WAN access networks. With the
PPPoE stuff everyone is in their own vlan and it's a point to point
technology. It's somewhat convoluted, but works very very well. Look at
Redback or Ericson products, l2tp aggregation etc etc.

Maybe I should give a talk on this or something....