[SGVLUG] DSL: static or faster?

Charles N Wyble charles at knownelement.com
Tue Mar 9 12:47:37 PST 2010

On 03/09/2010 11:35 AM, Claude Felizardo wrote:
> So does that mean you can never connect to your own machine from
> outside with TimeWarner cable?

If you have a private IP on the WAN side, then yes that would be the
case. You can ask for a public IP and they might give you one. It's hit
and miss. When I had cable, it had a public IP but changed twice per
day. Most people do just fine with (double) NAT. *shrugs* The general
population really has no clue about the importance of end to end
connectivity.

> When they change the IP address, doesn't that mess up any existing
> connections to the outside world?  I typically ssh in to work for
> hours at a time so I can monitor a build or a test so wouldn't that
> break my connection?

Yep. It sure would. This is why I spend $70.00 per month to not have to
worry about it. It just works. I had 6mbps/768k since the moment I
flipped it on and it's been pushing that ever sense. I have the mrtg
graphs to prove it :)

> As for your DSL service, did you select that tier for the 6mb/768kb
> speed or the 7 static ip's or the english support?
All of that. I would even pay up to $5.00 per megabit to get more speed,
if I could. I mean that's the going rate in a colo these days. Maybe
even $10.00 per megabit with no minimum (the $5.00 per megabit usually
requires a 100 meg commit)

>   Is english support a specific offer or a requirement?  I mean
> whenever I've called for support they person on the other end had an
> accent but it was english.

I get people with no accent. Good ol USofA help desk! :) Oh yes I also
go straight to tier2. :)