[SGVLUG] WDL Systems eBox 4861

Devin Smith devinsmith at gmail.com
Thu Jun 24 10:17:32 PDT 2010

On Wed, Jun 23, 2010 at 3:18 PM, Arthur Baldwin <eengnerd at yahoo.com> wrote:
> But version 8.04 does install.  I'm fairly certain that it has to do with
> the hardware detection of the video chipset and the settings that are chosen
> by default.  By the way I've also tried about 12 other current distros
> (including Debian and Knoppix) and all of them have failed even more
> miserably.
>
> Here is a link to the item's website:
>
> http://www.wdlsystems.com/modperl/view_services.cgi?r=detail&prod_num=1EBX461&aisle_id=1018
>
> The video chipset is listed as CX700 or "UniChrome Pro".
> The chipset manufacturer ended support for the Linux driver at the same time
> that Ubuntu 8.04 was released.

Hi Arthur,

Were there errors in your dmesg during the install?  If so you can try
searching bugzilla.kernel.org with some of the error messages from the
dmesg.  You mentioned that it's a problem with the video chipset.
Were you able to install a distro with a text mode installer?  It
sounds like the problem might be more of an Xorg problem and not
specific to Linux although I'm not sure as I don't have that hardware.

Thanks,

Devin