[SGVLUG] WDL Systems eBox 4861

Arthur Baldwin eengnerd at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 23 15:18:03 PDT 2010

If anyone has an interest in helping to debug the operation of KUbuntu 10.04 on this hardware, please let me know.
I have successfully installed Ubuntu 10.04, but not KUbuntu 10.04.  In fact, versions 8.10, 9.04 and 9.10 of KUbuntu have all failed to install correctly.
But version 8.04 does install.  I'm fairly certain that it has to do with the hardware detection of the video chipset and the settings that are chosen by default.  By the way I've also tried about 12 other current distros (including Debian and Knoppix) and all of them have failed even more miserably.

Here is a link to the item's website:

http://www.wdlsystems.com/modperl/view_services.cgi?r=detail&prod_num=1EBX461&aisle_id=1018

The video chipset is listed as CX700 or "UniChrome Pro".
The chipset manufacturer ended support for the Linux driver at the same time that Ubuntu 8.04 was released.

I have 3 pieces of this product and would like to eventually sell them.  But with the current lack of support for the video chipset, I'm not very hopeful.

We paid almost $425 for these units a short time ago.

Any suggestions?

Arthur