[SGVLUG] disk encryption

John E. Kreznar jek at ininx.com
Mon Feb 1 22:21:22 PST 2010

From: Claude Felizardo <cafelizardo at gmail.com>
Subject: [SGVLUG] disk encryption
Date: Mon, 1 Feb 2010 19:37:16 -0800

> Is anyone familiar with encrypting hard disks or at least
> partitions? ...

> And I'm not talking about what you should be doing, I'm asking what
> people actually do.

I've been encrypting disk partitions or directories for longer than I
can remember, and backups for a long time, too.

For disk encryption, I started out with Matt Blaze's CFS
(cryptographic file system) and used it to encrypt my own home
directory for years through several operating system generations.
When that was no longer being maintained, I moved to loop-aes,
encrypting all of /home and have used it also for many years and
several OS generations.

Both of these are quite trouble-free once installed, but plan on
spending several hours for the initial learning and setup.

Whole-disk encryption is available with loop-aes, but I have never
felt the need.

I encrypt all backups using duplicity.

All of these are available as Debian packages.

 John E. Kreznar jek at ininx.com 9F1148454619A5F08550 705961A47CC541AFEF13