[SGVLUG] disk encryption

Claude Felizardo cafelizardo at gmail.com
Mon Feb 1 19:37:16 PST 2010

Is anyone familiar with encrypting hard disks or at least partitions?

I've encrypted data partitions that contain say some of my personal music
collection and don't want to risk unintentionally sharing music with other
people at work.  My desktop is pretty well locked down but if someone where
to reboot the machine, I don't want the stuff automatically available from
the console.  I've used both mountloop and as well as using
encryption=AES2048 in my /etc/fstab file.

Now I just heard about a program called truecrypt which sounds interesting.
Apparently even the partition table is encrypted so it appears to be a disk
with random data.  Has anyone used it before?  There's a brief description
on wikipedia.

For my backups at home, I now have a couple of bare drives that I rotate at
work or at a relatives house so it's stored off site.  I'm wondering if I
should be encrypting the data as it may contain personal data like old
expense reports, etc.

Do people encrypt some of their partitions or do you encrypt the entire disk
or what?  I'm getting ready to rebuild my file server at home and wondering
which partitions I should partition or just the backups disks that get
rotated off site.

And I'm not talking about what you should be doing, I'm asking what people
actually do.

claude