[SGVLUG] April Presentation Online

Braddock Gaskill braddock at braddock.com
Thu Apr 15 16:20:20 PDT 2010

Bob J Wrote:
> BJ: Another 2K (total of 4K) is needed for a minimal interactive FORTH
> system. Basic would require more than that.

It isn't actually that bad.  There is RAM, and then there is flash.  The
Atmega328p has only 2KB of RAM (tight) but _32KB_ of flash.  It
executes code directly from flash (Harvard Architecture).

The amforth site declares:
"amforth needs less than 8KB Flash memory, approx 50 bytes EEPROM and
100-150 bytes RAM for the core system (including the compiler words)."

Adapting amforth for Ps/2 keyboard support should be a fairly fun little
project.  amforth already supports an interactive FORTH prompt over
serial, and my video MCU behaves just like a serial vt52 terminal, so
rendering to the TV is a no-brainer. (any volunteers? :)

	-braddock