[SGVLUG] Network management tools

Stan Slonkosky stan.ke6zc at gmail.com
Wed Sep 16 21:37:36 PDT 2009

I haven't used it and I haven't looked into it in depth, but you might want
to check out Splunk (splunk.com). It won't meet all of your needs, but it
should meet some of them. There is a free version that you can try out on a
small network. There was an interview with the Splunk Ninja on the
PaulDotCom security podcast recently (
http://pauldotcom.com/wiki/index.php/Episode164)
I see from your LinkedIn page that you work for the Charter Oak Unified
School District. I'm curious if your school district has to buy all of its
computers from http://www.intelli-tech.com as some districts do. I have been
volunteering time (I am unemployed and since I can't get anyone to pay me, I
work for free. I just hope to be able to survive until the economy gets
better.) at another school district that does and it seems that in many
cases they have to pay double what they could buy the same computer for at
Fry's and they don't get very good support. I would think a school district
would be a big enough customer to deal directly with manufacturers and get a
bigger bang for the buck, especially when budgets are tight.

--
Stan Slonkosky