[SGVLUG] linux-friendly netbooks

Charles Wyble charles at thewybles.com
Thu Sep 3 13:04:17 PDT 2009

Sean wrote:
> I have the EPC1000HD, which came stocked with Windows XP.
>
> I soon replaced the Windows XP OS after discovering 1 week later that it had
> included a Sino rootkit/keylogger, which either came out of the box (thanks
> Asus),

Um... really? How did you determine this? I would think if it included a
keystroke logger then others would have found it.

  or was somehow embedded in a version of Cygwin that I had downloaded
> from anl.gov mirrors.

Yeah..... somewhat I don't think so. Paranoid much?

> In any event, I installed Debian etch via TFTP.

TFTP? Or FTP?

  The most painstaking task
> has been dealing with the drivers for this machine's NIC. I was easily able
> to get the wifi drivers installed and running after a few hours of googling,
> but I've still (a year later almost) have gotten the wired NIC to work,
> which is more due to lack of time and desire than anything.
>
> The one gripe I have is that I can't get a really feasible resolution (to my
> standards), so it's really not something I find myself using much, aside
> from when traveling. I'd rather have an iphone though, in that sense.

Oh ho ho. An iPhone... and that isn't tracking/monitoring you 5 ways
from Sunday? :)

Come on.