[SGVLUG] linux-friendly netbooks

Kenny Leao shiningkenmonster at gmail.com
Thu Sep 3 03:39:24 PDT 2009

Well, it depends on which linux distro you are going to use. All of them
varies on bugs.
If you are going to install the Ubuntu 9.04 Netbook Remix, they have a whole
list of the netbook models they have tested on.
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/HardwareSupport/Machines/Netbooks

I have seen an ASUS Eee PC 1008HA and an ASUS Eee PC 1000HE run on Ubuntu
9.04 just fine with it.

As for me, I have both a dell mini 9 and a dell mini 10v. they are pretty
nice and well build netbooks.

One reason why Dell netbooks are popular is because people can install a
Hackintosh on it. (Mac OS X)
If you are planning on installing a Mac OS, you should check out the
compatibility list that people have tested out on their netbooks:
http://gadgets.boingboing.net/2008/12/17/osx-netbook-compatib.html

If you are looking for full on netbook reviews. i would recommand this
website:
http://www.laptopmag.com/review/advsearch.aspx?pcid=1624&spcid=2143
although, they dont have much linux netbooks reviews.

I know someone who runs an Asus eeepc 701 as a server on a linux os. with
only 4GB of harddrive space too! its a pretty nice small server. - although,
i believe it can't handle a million users visiting that website
simultaneously thou